41 www.BlountPartnership.com When no money remained for sidewalks, a parking lot or drive- ways, local business owners and workers rolled up their sleeves and did the labor themselves with donated materials. On opening day on July 24, 1947, the community showed up to help move the furniture, offices, beds and patients from an old hospital building to the new one. Here is a snapshot of Blount Memorial Hospital today: ■ Owned by Blount County and operated through a not-for- profit corporation and governed by a nine-member board of directors ■ A fully accredited, compre- hensive short-term health care facility providing diagnosis, treatment, acute care, skilled care, wellness and education in hospital, outpatient, work site and community settings. ■ 304 licensed acute care beds ■ 76 licensed skilled care beds (off-site) ■ 92 independent, assisted and memory-impaired living beds (off-site) ■ More than 11,000 admissions annually ■ More than 50,000 annual emergency room visits ■ Provided more than $37.3 mil- lion in charity and uncompen- sated care in 2016-2017 ■ More than 275,000 outpatient visits annually. ■ More than 245 physicians on active and courtesy staffs ■ More than 2,300 employees including more than 650 regis- tered nurses, licensed practical nurses and certified nursing assistants ■ More than 250 hospital and hospice volunteers ■ 13 Blount County facilities