READYTOCARE Basically Blount 2018 40 BLOUNTMEMORIALHOSPITAL: Hand-In-Hand WITHTHEPEOPLEOFBLOUNT Since the very beginning, Blount Memorial Hospital has been a partnership. The hospital was founded in 1947 because local physicians, the county court, Blount citizens and the Aluminum Company of America (ALCOA) wanted a medical facility close to home. The community connection was strong from the incep- tion and continued on opening day. A federal grant initiated the hospital building project, but it took the people of Blount County to make it a reality. Citizen donations doubled the federal grant in order to complete construction of the building. The community raised $200,000, including a $100,000 donation from ALCOA that included a day’s pay given by every Aluminum company worker.